Sunday, April 10, 2011

Room makeover - the study - part 1

As I mentioned in my last post - we've started renovations on our study.

I don't have before shots - it was always such a huge mess that I never thought of taking photos!
Essentially - the walls were yellow, floor was blue carpet and the furniture was very dark.
The room was drab and dark and closed in - and not a nice space to think up amazing things!!

We started by painting the whole room white, then MissG came up with the plan of pulling out the carpet!! We can't afford other floor coverings for now - so we decided that we would paint the concrete. (the whole house is on a concrete slab.)

Here's some shots of the painted walls and the bare floors - all the family dived into ripping up the carpet - it was very cathartic!!




The floor was then painted grey (concrete paint), and the furniture put in.
So now - here's one finished corner of the room.....


We bought some new IKEA furniture (2 x Alex drawer units & 1 x Billy bookcase); I grabbed some white storage boxes from Office Works and IKEA; and I picked up some DECOR clear storage containers from Woolworths for some sewing supplies.
The printer/scanner is now off the desk and has a place of it's own.

I've put many of the books away in boxes elsewhere and kept on display only those I currently use (mostly Uni text books, teaching resources and craft/design books).

I've added a couple of notice boards to use as inspiration boards - I picked up 4 x Umbra bulletboards (12'x 12' each)from Howards Storage World - they take both magnets and pins.(x2 on the wall plus x2 on the shelves).

 

I've also added some IKEA metal storage cannisters with magnets onto a galvanised metal strip I purchased from the hardware store - (I used double sided tape to attach the strip to the bookcase) - here's a pic -


We occastionally use this room as a guest room - so needed to include the space and furniture to fill that duel purpose.

Another corner of the study below shows the sofa bed (Lycksele 2 seat sofa bed, cushions and Pugg clock all from IKEA) and some door knobs screwed into the wall (from the hardware store) to act as hooks for hanging a coat or hat -





I've yet to source a round mirror for above the sofa bed - so more light can be reflected around the room.

IKEA have neglected to place a store in Canberra - my closest store is in Sydney - a 3 hour drive north from here and a 3 hour drive back home.
Very inconvenient - but I have been known to take a few road trips to get what I want!!!
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - IKEA - open a store in Canberra!!!!!

That's it for now. More to come. I'll show you the other side of the room when I'm done.
Oh - and thanks especially to my wonderful MrW - he's an amazing painter - and a very patient man!!!

No comments: